disable "Cached RAM" for Hyper-V guests
I have a very small Win2k8 server running 3 virtual Win2k8 servers in a test invironment. The problem is that the Host server only have 4 GB of RAM !! The Server and all VHD's are located on SSD, so i figure that Prefeth and Superfetch could be disabled without performance loss I dont know if there are more services that Cache stuff in RAM other then Prefetch and Superfetch ?? I've tried disabling both services using the Regedit hack (EnableSuperfetch=0 & EnablePrefetcher=0) but that doesn't make any difference, the Ram is still stuffed with Cache :( I want the disable all this caching, so that i can free up ram, and let the Hyper-V Host show me the 'real' RAM usage.
June 2nd, 2012 5:23pm

Hyper-V forum would be the best place to ask this question. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threadsPress any key... What the ... Where's any key ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 2nd, 2012 10:59pm

no. this is a general question about RAM usage in Window Server 2008 R2
June 3rd, 2012 5:50am

no. this is a general question about RAM usage in Window Server 2008 R2 You mentioned, "I want the disable all this caching, so that i can free up ram, and let the Hyper-V Host show me the 'real' RAM usage. " The problem description itself talks about hyper-v guest and hyper-v host, how would you justify that, the post doesn't belong to Hyper-V section ?Thanks, Being Human
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 4th, 2012 7:34am

no. this is a general question about RAM usage in Window Server 2008 R2 You mentioned, "I want the disable all this caching, so that i can free up ram, and let the Hyper-V Host show me the 'real' RAM usage. " The problem description itself talks about hyper-v guest and hyper-v host, how would you justify that, the post doesn't belong to Hyper-V section ? Thanks, Being Human Hyper-V showing the wrong amount of RAM is the secondary problem caused by the caching model in Windows 2008 R2. Win2k8r2 caches files into free ram, which is good on slow harddrives with lots of ram to spare, but on a tight RAM-budget with SSD it would be better to turn off caching and let the VM-guests consume as little RAM as possible. Letting Win2k8r2 guests consume free ram, will eventually bloat all the Guests when using Dynamic RAM assignment and in effect skew the real RAM usage ! thats why i want to disable Prefetch, Superfetch and whatever is eating all the RAM.
June 4th, 2012 7:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics